Education, Camps & Daycares Insurance

A group of kids learning to work together
A group of kids learning to work together

Running a childcare service, school, or camp takes care and commitment – and a whole lot of support. The appropriate insurance can help cover you when problems pop up on and off your property.

Find out how the right coverage can help protect your buildings and property, as well as any general liability concerns arising from injuries onsite or during offsite outings.

Types of coverage to consider

The education and childcare sector faces risks at every level – to buildings, people, and operations. From primary schools to universities to summer camps, all institutions need appropriate insurance to help ensure everything stays on track if an emergency arises. 

  • Business Colleges
  • Daycare Centres
  • Kindergartens
  • Nursery Schools
  • Private Schools
  • Public Primary Schools
  • Public Secondary Schools
  • Recreational Clubs
  • Summer Camps
  • Universities
  • Vocational Schools

What does education, camps & daycares insurance cover?

Risks to educational institutions, daycares, and camps are often liability-related: many claims result from slips, trips, and falls. Incidents happen more often in poorly maintained and frequently used areas – think walkways, parking lots, and stairwells.

We tailor our insurance to the most prevalent risks in your industry – and to some you may not have considered.

Jungle gyms, playrooms, concrete yards, bulky furniture…there are plenty of things that can get in the way and cause injury. Hazards can grow when snow, water, ice, or general debris is added to the mix. What would happen if someone was injured on your property and decided to sue? That depends on the coverage you have in place.

Whether or not you’re truly at fault, a lawsuit could result in substantial legal fees for you. Fortunately, your commercial general liability coverage can support you in these sorts of situations: it’s designed to help cover your business if a child, visitor, or any other third party suffers bodily injury or property damage wherever your business operates.

Water damage can be traced to a number of sources, from a leaky roof to a backed-up toilet, and kitchen fires can start from a single greasy pan. Educational facilities, daycares, and camps can be chaotic by nature, and with so much to supervise, these sorts of incidents could go unnoticed until after the damage is done.

It’s important to take steps to prevent flooding and fire damage, but you need commercial property insurance to help cover property damage or loss (whatever facilities you might have on the premises). Commercial property can help shoulder the costs to repair or replace equipment, accessories and incidentals, or even the building itself. Of course, each facility has different coverage needs, which is where your broker’s guidance can come in handy.

Do you bus students between buildings, on field trips, or to and from other offsite events? Waivers are crucial to cover your liability risk, but how about protection for your vehicles?

If you rely on your own or your staff’s vehicles to shuttle people around, make sure you’re not relying on your personal auto insurance: commercial auto insurance can go a lot farther, with coverage for injuries to drivers and passengers, costs for a replacement vehicle, and even lost wages that result from a covered accident.

Additional coverages to consider

When working in the educational, daycare, and camp sectors, you don’t want to take any chances. That’s why it’s important to have additional coverages tailored to your unique business needs.

What can you expect from your policy?

Our underwriting team understands the exposures in the education sector, so we can adapt and expand our offerings as our customers’ needs grow.

We hope you never experience a loss, but if you do, you can count on our dedicated claims team to help get you back to business. We’ll work together with your broker to get the claims process underway as soon as your claim is reported, and we’ll always keep you in the loop. If any questions or concerns should arise, don’t fret – we’re here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You can enjoy the perks of your policy well before you experience a loss. Our Risk Services team works hard to help keep your business running safely, smoothly, and consistently with detailed bulletins, workplace risk assessments, and onsite training.

Managing Risk

Unparalleled industry expertise, professional guidance, and innovative approaches to managing risk help our Northbridge Risk Services experts stay one step ahead of the crowd. Each year, our team conducts over 5,000 risk assessments and service calls for businesses across Canada. Our on-site assessments are complemented by a selection of in-depth training programs and educational tools to help companies excel in their industries.

Our Risk Services team offers technical publications to help you gain a better understanding of the potential exposures in your industry, and they can provide personal guidance to help fine-tune your daily operations. Find out more about what our experts can do for your business here.

Resources for Education, Camps & Daycares

How to deal with property water damage

Water issues can arise due to a number of different causes, including precipitation, weather-related events, underground sources, and improperly installed pipes during construction. If uncontrolled

* Legal Assist not provided for criminal, personal or insurance issues, do not provide representation in legal proceedings or legal fees coverage, and provided by Assistenza International, through lawyers licensed in your jurisdiction. Risk Management Assist provided by our Risk Services specialists and are intended to augment your internal safety, compliance and risk management practices, and are not a substitute for professional or legal advice. Trauma Assist provided by independent third-party professionals, long-term and specialized counseling not included. Cyber Assist provided by CyberScout services are not included in any cyber extension or endorsements. Services are not an insurance policy, not all policies are eligible, contact us for details.

Get a quote

    Contact Us

      Contact Us